Friday, March 1, 2013

Grab FEAR By the Hand and Do What You Must!

I would rather be scared SH#%less than bored to death while there's still breath in my body.  So I invite you to join me in my mission to
 GRAB FEAR BY THE HAND and do what you must...
Fear can STOP us or FREE more of us!
(YOU CHOOSE.)

I am NOT a fan of the idea we need to diminish fear and don't believe any of us will reach a point as long as we are living where fear doesn't come to visit.  It is a part of the human experience NOT something we need to cut out,
exclude, avoid or deny.  When I hear self-help teachers spewing this crap, it pisses me off and makes me want to shout from mountaintops:  Don't buy it!  RUN!  They are teaching you to repress an instinctive, primal emotion that is part of being alive in this world. 

Acknowledging our fear is everything and takes great awareness of our Self.  We call it up, hold its hand like an old friend who came to visit, allow it to say what it came to say and then, we do what we must.

All of the heroes throughout the ages, the people we put on pedestals and project perfection on to, they have known fear intimately.  We like to think that they had some special grace or super human power, but I believe it was their choice to grab fear by the hand and take it along with them that freed them to do what we now celebrate them for. 

The Indianapolis Motor Speedway held the 100 year anniversary gala and I was invited to attend with friends.  My favorite part of the night was listening to each Indy 500 winner speak about what driving on this historic, sacred track meant to them and how winning changed their lives.  AJ Foyt, 4 time winner who is now in his 70's shared something that astonished me.  He said, "I was afraid of every lap I ever took around that track..."  And in my mind, it dawned on me And he did it anyway...WOW! 

Here's the best kept secret:  WE ARE ALL AFRAID!  It's okay.  Be with it.  Laugh at it.  Cry.  Feel it all.  And do whatever you must to live the life you came here to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment