Thursday, April 4, 2013

LIFE HAPPENS: Flight Delays, Missed Connections, Sleeping in the Airport...

The trouble with plans is they are subject to change at any time.
There are things we have control over.
And there are things we simply don't.
We kick and we scream out of frustration,
trying to will things to be different.
But here we are.
So what ya' gonna' do?


After 5 days in Paradise, basking in the glory of it all, here I am:  Stuck in the D.C. airport, waiting for my 6 a.m. flight.  People have commented since Survivor hit the airwaves that I should be on it because I am athletic and love being in nature.  This is no doubt a compliment that they see me as a fierce woman, capable of facing the elements and the never-ending challenges they pose; but I let them know:  At the end of a day after playing in the great outdoors, this girl likes a bar of soap and a hot shower before I climb in a comfy bed to get my necessary sleep.  That being said, being stranded in the airport is on my top 10 list of Shit I'd rather not have to do

Some may say that I have been through worse than this and I would agree whole-heartedly.  This actually doesn't even peg the tragedy meter even slightly.  But I don't need to deny that this absolutely sucks.  I like the comforts of my home.  When I leave a vacation spot, I like to get home so I can unpack, start laundry, love on my kitties, clean up, put on my Pj's and eat my food before I slide into bed for that Oh, it's good to be home in my own bed night sleep.   

Yes, I get it:  LIFE HAPPENS!  Flights are delayed, connections are missed and we have to sleep in the airport in order to catch the next plane out, but I don't have to like it.  And I am swiftly reminded that the trouble with plans is they are subject to change at any time.  There are things I have control over and things that I simply don't no matter how hard I kick, no matter how loud I scream.  But I kick and scream anyway so I can let out the frustration.  I acknowledge that I want what I want when I want it like all humans before I finally let go and accept what is.

Here I am stranded in the fu%#ing airport.

Then, I begin to give thanks for my group of friends here with me enduring this inconvenience with comic relief, sighs, ughs, barks, junk food, web surfing, music and the gift of their physical presence.  Side by side and head to feet, laying on the airport chairs, we are united in our effort to survive this night any way that we can.

LIFE HAPPENS.  LOVE makes it into another good remember when? story on our shared adventure that we will laugh about over and over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment