Tuesday, June 4, 2013

You've Got the Touch


We are constantly touched
Throughout each day
Energetically, physically, mentally, emotionally, spiritually
In a dance with the whole of creation.
We are touched by people, places and things
And we touch people, places and things
Some exchanges heal while others can violate
But to know the power of touch
Helps us tune in
To the effect we have on the world
And the effect it has on us.

While living in Brownsburg like clockwork, I would see my chiropractor, Dr. Devon and my massage therapist, Katie Eccles alternating weeks as their healing touch promoted my health:  mind, body, heart and soul.  Being swept away with the excitement of my move to Nashville, I had neglected to schedule with my new team for a month and could feel my physical body screaming out for attention, threatening to go on strike and shut down operations.    

I knew I was overdue but had no idea how extreme the need was until I experienced the immediate releases with each touch, each systematic stroke across my entire body, each adjustment in my neck, wrist, hip and spine.  Waves of energy were pouring through my head and I felt mental clarity return as the fog lifted.  Waves of energy poured through my feet and I felt grounded physically, emotionally and spiritually, experiencing a state of calm where I could breathe into the whole of me and beyond.

Years ago, I had seen a video clip of Mother Teresa taking her hands and physically touching patients down their arms, their backs, their legs and their feet.  Even the patients who had been despondent lit up with joy from the power of her love transmitted physically but feeding the whole of them.  I remember weeping as I witnessed this, wanting to wield my power of touch responsibly and to not underestimate this profound exchange human to human.

My mom had been sick for several years prior to passing away but the last 6 months were harsh as most of her days were spent in bed or on the sofa.  When I would arrive to see her, I would sit right next to her and kiss her clockwise and counter clockwise around her face.  She would smile a girlish grin as I did this.  Then, I would ask her: Do you know why I do this? And she would pretend as if a child at play that she didn’t know nodding her head from side to side smiling from the inside, even though I had done this same thing time and again.  I would say to her that I do this because one day I won’t be able to do this and I want to remember what it feels like to kiss your face, my dear.  (Note:  I am tearing as I write this because I DO remember and it is LOVEly to remember this exchange of my lips on her soft face.)

We touch and are touched by words, by kindness, by meanness, by what we feed our bodies, by how we speak to our Self, by visual images both beautiful and horrific, by our environments – home, office, where we spend time briefly or for extended periods, by hands, by fingers, by silent energy exchanges of people, places and things.  I could go on and on and on as we are constantly touched throughout each day energetically, physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually.  Some exchanges heal and invigorate while others drain and violate so it is essential that we tune in and never underestimate the effect we have on the world and the world has on us.

The invitation this day is remember:  You’ve got the touch!  And how you use this power is up to you.  Be conscious of the effect you have and wield this gift generously.

No comments:

Post a Comment