Thursday, June 27, 2013

One Size Does NOT Fit All

There are prescriptions for living
Espoused by so called “experts”
As to how to create a good life
What to do
And what not to do
What works
And what doesn’t
As if one size
One way
Fits all.


I love to run.  I do.  I am one of those people who smiles as she runs down the road, feeling alive, feeling connected to my Self and all of creation, feeling as if there is no place I’d rather be or nothing else I’d rather be doing.  I understand that many of you are cringing as you read this because you loathe running and thought of it sends you reeling with dread.  I get it!  I feel the same way about many things that I choose not to do simply because I don’t enjoy them.

We all want to create a good life which includes maintaining our health but often, we are bombarded with information that confuses us, causes us to not trust our Self as prescriptions for living espoused by so called “experts” flood us with what to do, what not to do, what works, and what doesn’t as if one size, one way fits all.  One size does not fit all.  It doesn’t.  And there is definitely more than one way to live a good life.

Several years ago while speaking to a running group, I shared that I don’t believe running is for everyone and would advise anyone who hates it, not to do it because there are so many fitness options to explore that will bring joy to their lives.  There was a collective gasp by the group as if I just told them to fu%& off and die. 

When we are motivated by shame, doing things because we think we should because our friends are all doing it and it works for them or so called experts say it is best for us instead of listening to our Self, we are drained instead of enlivened by our actions.  There is absolutely something for everyone but not everyone will like something.  Thankfully, we have the power of our choices which is the best exercise of all because it frees us.

I remember having a moment of clarity around this.  A few years ago, there was a group from the yoga studio where I practiced regularly doing a 30 day cleanse.  Immediately, I jumped on the band wagon thinking I should.  Then, I paused and tuned into my Self having an honest conversation as to why? I really wanted to do this.  And in that moment of truth, I knew that I had fallen into old patterns motivated by shame instead out of Self-care.  I had thoughts of losing 10 pounds in just 30 days which used to be my constant self-beat:  I need to lose 10 pounds as if my worth depended on weighing 10 pounds less.  At the time, I felt good and had lots of energy so this wasn’t about achieving some higher level of health.   I love to eat as in chew food and swallow it so 30 days of juicing would be hell on Earth for me; and knew myself well enough to know that I might drink the juice AND eat regular food on top of it. 

The invitation this day is to pause and tune in to your Self before being swept away by the craze of the day.  While it is fun to experiment, dip our toe in to test the waters, be mindful of how you are feeling and trust this.  There is a distinct energy difference in being motivated by shame instead of making an empowered choice to do something in order to enhance our lives.  And remember, if you jump on the crazy train which we all tend to do from time to time, you can always jump off.  Be mindful:  One size does NOT fit all.

No comments:

Post a Comment